Roman ruins, dating to the period of Shivta’s founding in the first century BCE, can be seen in the southern part of the town. Most of the remains, however, date from the Byzantine period (fourth-seventh centuries BCE). With no natural water sources, Shivta’s water supply was based on surface runoff. This required meticulous urban planning, building the streets in the northern part of the city so that they drained into large reservoirs.
A main attraction in the park is the Colt
house, used by the archeologists led by H. Colt (son of the famous American gun manufacturer), who dug at Shivta from 1933 to 1934. Over the entrance is an inscription in ancient Greek that translates: “With good luck. Colt built (this house) with his own money.” Another highlight is the city's main church, smaller churches and monks' cells. In the double pool archeologists found potsherd ‘notes’ mentioning the residents who had fulfilled their civic duty to clean the pool.